One of all time favorite Greek dishes is Giouvarlakia soup. The egg lemon in the soup is probably the most famous Greek sauce that transforms all simple meatballs into delicious comforting food.
500 gr minced beef
100 gr-150gr Carolina rice washed and soaked
1-2 large onions minced
1 / 2 bunch dill, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped mint
salt and pepper
flour for dredging
INGREDIENTS for the lemon and egg sauce
3 lemons (only the juice)
1. Knead all the ingredients well (except the flour) and form balls.
2. Cover the balls with flour and place them one by one on a disk.
3. Boil water in a pot with oil, salt and pepper and add the floured giouvarlakia in boiling water, or even preferably in stock.
4. Cover the pan, lower the heat and let them boil for 25′-30
5. When finished cooking prepare the lemon and egg sauce.
METHOD for lemon and egg sauce
1. In a bowl beat the egg whites of eggs until they become tight meringue.
2. Add the egg yolks and beat for a while.
3. Slowly add the juice from the lemons and beat well.
4. With a deep scoop take from the pot a little broth and add to bowl.
5. We repeat that step 2-3 more times and continue beating with the mixer.
6. Then pour the mixture into the pot and stir completely gently to prevent spoiling the giouvarlakia.