Capon in Tomato with Noodles
This recipe from Lesvos is a Sunday family favorite and often served with slices of golden pan-fried cheese (saganaki).
1 capon, cut into portions
2 medium onions chopped
1 cup of olive oil
1 glass of dry, white wine
1 ½ cups of crushed tomato or an equivalent amount of sauce
2 bay leaves
3 cloves of garlic minced
oregano, just a pinch
salt, pepper, plus pepper corns
½ tsp of sugar
water, as much as required
2 cups of noodles
½ cup of grated cheese or more
1. Cut the capon into portions and saute; remove from pan and set aside.
2. Saute the onions.
3. Return the capon to the pan and then add the wine. Cover and simmer over low heat.
4. Add the tomato, sugar, garlic, bay leaves, salt and pepper, and enough hot water to cover. Simmer slowly.
5. When the capon is cooked, measure out 4 cups of liquid and add 2 cups of noodles. Simmer slowly again.
6. Sprinkle with grated cheese and then drizzle with hot melted butter.