Bread with Poppy Seeds
The poppy seeds add a delicious crunch to this buttery bread.
1½ kg white flour
2 cups granulated sugar
6 tbs fresh butter at room temperature
2 tbs olive oil
1 tsp salt
½ tbs cinnamon, ground
45 g fresh yeast
2 tbs milk
2 tbs poppy seeds
Preheat oven at 200° C
1. In a mixer bowl add the olive oil, the butter, sugar and yeast (dissolved in warm water). Operate the mixer for two minutes at a low speed.
2. Add the 4 eggs, cinnamon, salt and continue with the mixer for 3 more minutes at same speed.
3. Work for 8 more minutes slowly adding the rest of the flour and making sure that the dough is to your satisfaction. The dough should then be soft and pliable. If necessary, add a little warm water or flour.
4. Transfer the dough to a large bowl, cover with the cotton cloth and let it rest for 45 minutes. The dough should then have risen to almost double in size.
5. Place dough on smooth, slightly floured surface and divide it into pieces with respect to the size of loaves you intend to produce.
6. Place the loaves in a large baking pan, but previously brush pan with olive oil.
7. Cover loaves with a cotton cloth and allow them 30 minutes to rise.
8. Whisk an egg and mix with the milk. Use this mixture to brush the surface of each loaf.
9. Sprinkle with ample poppy seeds and bake in moderate temperature for 50 minutes, until each loaf becomes golden brown in color.