Giant Beans baked with Beer, Honey & Hot peppers
This is a perfect way to cook giant beans in a cold winter night. Try to find the ones from Florina region because they are the most delicious of all.
½ lb giant beans soaked overnight
6 slices bacon
2 red onions diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ cups spicy barbecue sauce
1 cup Fischer beer
4 tbsp Greek honey
3 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp dark sugar
2 tbsp Worcesteshire sauce
1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
hot sauce as desired or chopped fresh chili peppers
1 small bunch fresh, flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
Preheat oven to 180°C
1. Drain beans and refill a large pot with fresh water. Add the beans and bring to a boil over a high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, until the beans are tender but al dente.
2. Remove and drain, saving about 2 cups of their boiling liquid.
3. Sauté the onions until transparent and then add the bacon over a medium heat until crisp. Remove from the skillet and chop.
4. Combine the beans, bacon, onions and remaining ingredients in a large bowl and toss. Pour the mixture into a large baking pan and bake covered until the beans are very tender but not so soft that they disintegrate.
5. Remove, cool slightly and serve, either warm or at room temperature.