Tomato with Sea Urchins
Sea urchins are not loved by all, but are one of those delicacies that can open a whole world to you through your taste. Savour each bite, and respect that sea which it brings so close to you. This is a salad to be made in the summer and eaten close to where the ingredients come from!
2 to 3 large, ripe, good-quality tomatoes
1 large red onion
6 to 8 raw sea urchins, cleaned
4 to 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 to 2 barley rusks
Coarse sea salt
- Peel, half and slice the onions in half julienne
- Break the barley rusk in pieces of about 2cm x 2cm and let sit in a bowl with a 2 tbsp of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of water and salt; mix well.
- Core and cut the tomatoes into about six to eight wedges.
1. Put the tomatoes the onion and the se aurchins in a big bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with real sea salt.
2. To eat properly, mix the chopped pieces of barley rusks -paximathiia- into the salad and eat them altogether.
Adapted from "The Glorious Foods of Greece", by Diane Kochilas (William Morrow Publishers, New York 2001)