Sautéed Greens - Tsigarelli
This simple and spicy dish of sauteed wild greens from Corfu is an island favorite.
1 kg seskoulo (or Swiss chard, or silver or spinach beet) cut in fine shreds
1/2 kg curly endive, finely shredded
2 leeks, chopped (use scallions, if no leeks are available)
2 or more stalks fresh garlic, if available, or 3 cloves, dried minced
2-3 tbs olive oil
3-4 tbs fresh mint, chopped, or 2 tablespoons dried
3-4 tbs fresh dill, chopped, or 2 tablespoons dried
2 small potatoes thinly chopped
2 tbs cayenne
freshly ground black pepper to taste
salt to taste
1. Bring some water to the boil in a pot big enough to hold the greens, add salt (if desired), the seskoulo and the endive.
2. When reduced in bulk after approximately 5 minutes, drain in a colander as you would spaghetti, but reserve some of the liquid.
3. Gently sauté the leeks (and/or scallions), and garlic in olive oil until soft, add the parboiled greens, the mint, and the dill together with the sliced potatoes, and toss well.
4. Moisten with some of the reserved liquid; add the cayenne, black pepper, and salt; stir; cover; and simmer for about 30 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
5. Check from time to time to see that the vegetables don’t stick, adding more water if necessary.