Milk Pudding Pie from Yiannena (Galatopita Yiannotiki)
Milk pudding pie, for Greeks, is a fond memory of home, country, and childhood all in one; the texture, the taste and the smell all contribute to this. Make it in your own kitchen and you may be able to create a homey tradition exclusive to your home!
2 liters milk
2 cups fine semolina
1 tsp vanilla flavoring
1 ½ cups sugar
2 tbsp butter
5 sheets of phyllo
4 tsp ground cinnamon for phyllo
4 tsp sugar for phyllo
½ cup melted butter for brushing phyllo
Preheat oven to 170°C
1. Warm the milk over a low flame and slowly add the semolina, stirring constantly.
2. Beat the sugar with 4 of the eggs and add the vanilla. Remove the semolina from the heat and slowly add to the egg mixture stirring constantly to make sure it doesn’t curdle.
3. Place the mixture back on a low flame and stir until thick and creamy. Set aside.
4. Combine the ground cinnamon and sugar for the phyllo. Butter a large baking pan and lay two sheets of phyllo in the pan buttering in between, letting the edges drop off the side of the pan.
5. Lay a third sheet of phyllo in the pan and scatter 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Do the same with the remaining phyllo.
6. Pour the cream mixture over the phyllo and tuck in the overlapping phyllo edges to form a rolled edge. Beat the remaining 2 eggs and pour over the cream filling.
7. Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes.