Grilled Stuffed Red Mullet (Barbounia Yemista)
This grilled stuffed red mullets resipe from Molyvos, Lesvos is delicious simple, and easy particularly when the fish is fresh.
4 large red mullet
1 medium onion
salt and pepper
1/2 a tomato (the hard part only)
2 tbs of olive oil
the finely-chopped liver of the mullet
- Finely chop the onion, the tomato, the parsley and the liver
- Gut and wash the fish, making an incision in the belly through to the bone.
1. Mix the onion, the tomato, the parsley and the liver, adding salt, pepper and olive oil.
2. With the stuffing, fill the head and belly of the fish -in general, all the cavity.
3. Sew the cavity shut with strong thread to prevent the stuffing from leaking out.
4. Salt and let stand for 30-45 minutes.
5. Heat the grill, brush the fish with olive oil, and cook.
6. Make a dressing by mixing a cup of olive oil, a little water, the juice of 2 medium lemons and a little finely chopped parsley.
7. As soon as the fish are done, dip them in the dressing, put them on a serving-dish, and pour the rest of the dressing over them.